Domestic Violence / Order of Protection


We take allegations of domestic violence very seriously. Our attorneys have had to handle many cases involving domestic violence. Physical violence and the threat of physical violence are never acceptable and we take all possible precautions to protect our clients and our clients’ children. Depending on the circumstances, obtaining a restraining order or order of protection may be necessary. For more information on how we can assist you with obtaining an order of protection or defend against a false allegation of abuse, contact us to schedule a consultation.


If there is domestic violence within your home, you should immediately report the abuse to the authorities and get a protective order from a judge. Ideally, you will be able to stay at your current residence with your child, and your spouse will be forced to move out. If you plan to vacate and take your child, you will need to obtain a temporary custody order so you are not convicted of kidnapping. It is important to consult a family law attorney to discuss the best options for your situation.


If you are falsely accused of abuse, DO NOT ignore it. Civil Orders of Protections are serious. They can affect your parenting time and parental rights of your minor children and can land you in jail. If an Order of Protection is entered against you, a record will be created that may be visible to future employers and your FOID card must be surrendered. Any violation of an order of protection is grounds for arrest. If someone has petitioned the court for an Order of Protection against you, the attorneys at Luckett & Ashford can help.


In Illinois, Department of Child and Family Services (DCFS) may be informed regarding concerns about the welfare of a child, including reports of child abuse or neglect, domestic abuse, a parent’s drug addiction or other legal matters. If you are involved in an investigation by Child Protective Services (CPS), it is in your best interests to consult an experienced lawyer.


Often when CPS investigations include reports of abuse and neglect, it may be in the best interests of children to award custody to a grandparent or other family member. In most circumstances, this is preferred over placing a child with non-relatives.


We can help with even the most complex cases. If you are a grandparent or other relative seeking child custody, we can fully analyze the situation and advise you of your rights and options. The Attorneys at Luckett & Ashford approach every case with the compassion and urgency it deserves, and will work toward achieving the outcome that is in the child’s best interests.

Read our blog to learn more or contact us today for a consultation.